How to get Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision working in Ubuntu

I have recently removed Windows from my Dell Inspiron 9400, and replaced it with Ubuntu, which is a flavour of Linux (or GNU/Linux if you're picky).

I was surprised at how easy the installation was, almost everything worked out of the box, wireless, all the media keys and 95% of the fn keys. (I'm having trouble with fn+f8 and fn+10 not working correctly)

Anyway I am very happy with the Installation, I love the effects you have on the windows, it looks really pretty.

I wanted to get my Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision working with Ubuntu, so I could use it on Skype. I plugged it in and nothing happened...ho hum... on windows it would have picked it up and installed it, and asked for the driver cd, but anyway, after a bit of googling around I found this thread, and I followed the advise of Andrew Barber on there.

Make sure first you have all the tools for the job: Once you have got all them you will need to use subversion to get the driver from the svn repo.. Then you need to compile and install Plug the camera in and take a look at dmesg. It may [hopefully] give you the device listing for it... eg /dev/video1 Point your application at that device and see if it works.
I checked dmseg to see what had happened...

After that it worked in skype, I needed to set the sound in device to be the microphone of the web cam in the options of skype...

and in the video settings of skype...

I am still currently having a weird issue where it seems that skype takes over the sound of all other applications. If I try and play some music after a skype call then it won't play until I reboot. Also it seems I'm allowed a max of 1 skype call before the sound in skype doesn't work, and therefore doesn't let me make or receive anymore calls. Again it only seems at the moment that a reboot will fix it. For the moment I will live with this as I don't use skype that often anyway. (If anyone has any advice for this part please leave a comment)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,,

Labels: , , , ,